4.04.2006

No Man Is An Island

When I started the blog last week I was overflowing with ideas of things to write about. Unfortunately all of those ideas decided to go on hiatus and didn't give an Estimated Date of Return. So this is what you get when I've got nothing of real importance or inspiration to bestow upon my readers.

What I can give you is an account of one of my moments of lesser intelligence (of course these are so small in number I wouldn't get used to too many of these account...ahem..) I'd like to call this particular incident "The Case of the Amatuer Ebay-er."

You should first know that I have been lusting after an ipod for quite some time now. This lust is not something I'm proud of, but it's true. Sometimes I just go to ipod.com and rub my hands across the screen, dreaming of the day I would have my black 30 GB companion tucked it the wasteline of my pants, the white headphones pasted to my ears whilest I huffed and puffed, jogging down the sidewalk. Unfortunately, my sense of financial responsibility takes over and my lust is outweighed by my paranoia that I would be huffing and puffing down the sidewalk with my ipod not for exercise but because I was homeless because I couldn't pay the rent.

Anyway, on with my story. Lately, I've decided that maybe a good compromise would be to go for the ipod Shuffle. True, not a 30 GB by any stretch of the imagination, but it would suffice as a trusty exercise companion and 120 songs can last a pretty lengthy roadtrip. Not that I'm jumping at the opportunity to spend $69 either, but it's better than $300. So, in one of my blinding moments of lust, I decided to check ebay to see if I could get one for even cheaper (and maybe somewhat salvage my frugal identity). Behold! I see a shuffle for $35, and only 5 minutes left of bidding. Now, you should also know that I don't even have an ebay account. So when I saw this I pulled out my debit card and signed up in a frenzy. By the time I was an official ebay user there were only 4 minutes left and the bids were up to $38! I had to start bidding!

$38.50
....beat!

$39.00
....beat!

$40.00
....
....
....

I was getting excited.

SO excited. A shuffle for $40? I'm saving like $30!

And then I saw it.

In parenthesis next to the $40.00 was ($69.95).

And then it hit me.

I had been bidding in EUROS! This seller was from the UK!

I wasn't getting a deal! Shuffles are only $69 with free shipping from ipod.com!

I began to panic.

I began to breathe hard.

I wasn't ready to spend $70.

"You're Still the Top Bidder!" they told me as I refreshed the page, over and over. And over. I paced my cubicle. I prayed. "Dear God, I know this is probably not the most theologically correct prayer, but please don't let me win this bid! Please!"

2 mintues left...

Refresh! Refresh!

"You're Still The Top Bidder!"

How will I explain this to my friends? "Check out my new ipod Shuffle. I bet I paid more for mine than you paid for yours! In fact, I paid more than what it's worth!"

Alas! My bid was beaten. Probably from someone in Europe who knew what they were doing, no less.

Phew. I had never been so happy not to buy something that I really wanted in my whole entire life.

I'm not sure if ebay and I will remain friends after this.

And that's my story.

Now, on to more important things. I want to take a little survey. It has nothing to do with an ipod, I would just like to know your thoughts because it's something that comes up quite often in my circle of single friends. The Question Of The Day is:

How old is Too Old and why? (Of course I'm talking about dating.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Bell said...

Jenn!!

Great post, I was rolling on the floor. You really should be a writer! I am serious, the way you word your sentences, etc.--make me want to read more!

Question of the day: 33 is too old--for people our age!! I am not saying that 33 year olds are old, but too old to date. Mine as well call them Papa!

5:28 AM  
Blogger lesterspiano said...

thanks for the roller coaster ride of emotion

11:29 AM  
Blogger ~marie said...

i must say i LOVE my ipod and it has made many appearances in my blog- i hope your dreams come true someday soon.
BOY! what an ebay horror story!

hmmm...how old is too old for you to date?- can't recall exactly how old you are now, but i'd say no more that 10 years older than you...do you have some certain older man in mind?!

3:05 PM  
Blogger ~Hope~ said...

Your ebay story is exactly a story that would happen to me. I am not a ebay shopper but when I am tempted with the ebay frenzy I will try to remember your story and proceed with caution. Thanks for making me laugh-like always!

How old is too old? I have often visited this question. I have a cousin, she is 28 and her husband is 19. (kind of a awkard pair!) That is backwards, but I think too old (you being your age) is 35. Let us know what your answer is.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Mary Bell said...

Jenn, You should post again, no pressure, only if you want to, but you should want to, you are really good when you do!

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home